Can't Stand NoiseTue, Sep 13th 2011
I'm trying to figure out why I get so irritated by the noise around me these days?
I have a co-worker who is constantly chewing on ice and I can't stand the sound of it. She then starts eating chips or whatever and she rattles the paper and the whole time I'm thinking, "Will you please hurry up and get done so you can stop all the paper rattling."
As I sit and listen to this on a daily basis I feel like I'm going to explode at any minute. Sometimes I have to get up and leave the room before I say something I'll regret later.
Also, I can't deal with the conversations going on around me. It's usually 2 or 3 people talking, but, it seems like it's a million people and I just want quiet.
How do I stop getting so irritated by all this crap?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.