OCD?Fri, Nov 14th 2008
Lately I have been having unwanted intrusive thoughts and urges about harming my children. These thoughts cause me severe anxiety and fear. I have read about my symptoms and I have done to a lot of Internet searches that suggest I have an anxiety disorder such as OCD. I know my thoughts are stupid and I don't want to cause harm to them at all. I have always been a loving mother. I usually always feared my children getting sick or worse. I have always had fears of contamination and illness. I now lately have been constantly checking to make sure I'm not crazy and becoming another Andrea Yates because of these unwanted thoughts and urges. I hate even saying the word "urge" because it makes me feel panic. I start to freak out as to why I am having urges if that's even what they are. Or are they just a reaction to the anxiety from the thoughts?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.