Pushy FriendMon, Jul 31st 2000
I will try to make this as short as possible. I have been married for 10 yrs. I have no children. 3 months ago my husband left and I discovered he had moved in with someone (another female) and he has asked for a divorce. I do not want one. Meanwhile, I am working and able to take care of my finances. My problem is this. I have a lot of friends (male & female), but I have one female friend who is 31 and lives at home with her mother. She was friends with both me and my husband. She knows my husband does not live with me anymore and she calls me everyday (sometimes 5 times) a day and asks me to go places with her. I was nice at first and went to the bars with her a few times, but now she expects me to do it every weekend which I can't afford or want to do. I have tried to tell her that I have other plans, but she gets really offended, or if I say I want to just stay home she makes suggestions like, "I'll bring over a pizza and movie". She is a good friend, but I am starting to really get upset about her bothering me all the time. How do I get the message across to her that I don't want to spend all my free time with her without losing our friendship.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.