TrustFri, Jul 14th 2000
I have an extremely difficult time trusting people. Though this is for good reasons (past lessons learned) it is causing me much angst in my present relationship. I have been engaged for almost a year now, and I truly love him. I want to trust him, but I am just too afraid to. I am not sure if I can let myself. I feel like if I let my guard down and begin to fully trust him that one day I am going to find out everything has been a huge act and I will be left with nothing but another broken heart, only worse than I have ever felt before. I have heard that the more you love someone, the more power that person has to hurt you. I believe that is very true. I cannot take that kind of pain, but how can I ever be comfortable and completely happy if I cannot allow myself to trust? I need your help with this.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.