Friend's New FlingTue, Feb 10th 1998
I am having a problem accepting a friend's new relationship. I wouldn't say we are close friends, but I have come to admire and respect this person. I am female - he is male. I just recently found out that he has been dating an exotic dancer. First, I hate the fact that right away I judged this person by their occupation rather than who they are and second I can't shake the feeling of disappointment I have in my friend for pursuing this type of relationship. I know I am being judgmental but I really respected and admired him and somehow look at this relationship as being shallow. I just want to shake my disappointment and look at my friend the same way no matter who he is seeing. Can you help me deal with this feeling of disappointment? Up until this point I have really enjoyed the beginnings of this friendship, but now something is holding me back from calling him and asking why I had to find out from someone else.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.