Missing My Ex-Boyfriend Terribly Mon, Sep 12th 2011
We dated for 6 1/2 months. I met him at a community gathering through a friend, and we automatically hit it off. We adored and loved to be together in the early stages of the relationship. We were basically each other's muses. I even moved in with him within a month into relationship. Everything was great. He even gave me a ring that once belonged to him.
Later on we began to have trouble finding jobs and spat a little over the simplest things. Then we would argue more and more but always made up.
I had to move back to my hometown 5 months after we moved in together, putting a huge strain in our now long-distance relationship. We would text and call each other 24/7. He even came to see me for 3 days and, it was like old times.
When he went back to his home, it was back to the texting and calling. A month after he came to see me.
I went to the beach with some of my friends. I lost the ring he gave me. I called and tearfully told him what happened. He was upset but didn't yell or scream at me. He actually said he was going to get me a new ring. Two weeks later he sent me a text saying that the long-distance relationship wasn't working out and we needed time to work on ourselves. I didn't want it to end but I tearfully accepted. It was a peaceful split with no fighting. He told me that he still wanted to talk and be friends, but he never texted me after that night.
Two days later I sent him a random text just to say hi and nothing. I didn't send him anything until a month later. I sent out an e-mail and text to everyone on my friends' list and on my phone, saying that I had to evacuate because of hurricane Irene. Five minutes later he sent a text back asking, "Who's this?" I texted back saying it was me and I haven't heard anything from him since then.
I'm getting the horrible feeling that he doesn't love me anymore and wants to forget me. I've been in complete agony and very depressed and crying about it every day ever since. I feel like a part of me is gone, and there's something missing in my life. The thing is, I still love and care for him.
Why would he act like that after all we've been through? Why does he want to pretend that I don't exist? It's really killing me. All I want to do is cry and be alone.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.