Lust or Love?Sun, Nov 6th 2011
Hi Dr. Schwartz,
I have been dating this guy for over 6 months now; he has recently relocated to another city for work purposes. Ever since he has gone, we have less communication and, sometimes, he just doesn't reply to my texts or emails.
We started out together knowing that he has a girlfriend, but he would tell me how much he wanted to separate from her. Every now and then he will come back for a visit and when he sees me he is really happy and appreciates my company. We have great time together, but whenever he is gone, he is out of reach and I am unable to tap into his mind and his world at all.
At times he shows great concern for my wellbeing and everything that's happening around me. However, other times he just doesn't care.
What does this guy really want? Am I dating a guy with bipolar disorder? I am obsessed with him and have tried to stop contacting him, but when he calls me to go out again, I find it hard to refuse. Every time we separate again, he is really cold towards me. Then, I will get depressed, physically fatigued and unable to concentrate at work.
What can I do to this relationship? Why is he unable show affection towards me on a consistent basis?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.