Depressed and Not DatingThu, Jul 1st 2004
I will be 26 in 8 days and I have not had a boyfriend or a date in 5 and a half years. It all started when I got involved with another girl 6 years ago. I had feelings for her that I wanted to explore and 8 months into it, I knew that being a lesbian was not who I am. I have been depressed ever since that time. The problem is that I have no idea how to go about meeting men. I am attracted to many, but can not get up the courage to talk to them or pursue anything. I am so afraid of something and I do not know what. I stay at home almost every night and watch TV. I am afraid now that I have let myself slip into a depression that I will never meet someone. I have put on a lot of weight the past 4 years and am afraid that no man would want to be with an overweight girl. I don't know what to do, but I am so tired of being alone all of the time. Everyone tells me I am so pretty and smart, but no man has even asked me out in over 5 years. The last boy that asked me out was in 10th grade. I was not even asked to my own prom. I would love to get married and have kids someday, but I am so afraid that it will never happen. What can I do and where can I start.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.