A Very Bad TemperTue, Apr 29th 2003
I have been dating the same guy for 2 1/2 years off and on since October. That's when we discovered a problem. He had a very bad temper. It seemed he would get extremely angry about little things. He would get so angry that he would break things and punch holes in his walls when I was standing there crying. In one instance, he even threatened to kill himself. This scares me and I don't know how to handle this. I find that I am afraid of telling him almost anything that might slightly anger him. He doesn't exhibit this behavior very often. This only happens about once or twice every 3 months. In every day circumstances he is very kind and understanding, it just seems that sometimes he blows up. In my opinion, I think he holds in his emotions and they eventually blow up. I have told him I think he needs help and just recently, after one big anger blow up, he agreed and is willingly pursuing it. We are planning to discuss this all with his parents and seek their advice on what actions we should take. I really love him and I care about his health and I want to help him as much as possible. What actions should we take to help this anger problem (if that's what it really is)? Should we see a psychologist? I'm stuck!
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.