Scared He Will Leave MeMon, Mar 31st 2003
I have been dating a wonderful man for the past eight months. Before that I had gone through a divorce and a difficult marriage. I am falling in love with the man I am currently dating and am having difficulty expressing my feelings toward him. I am afraid that he will get scared and leave or that I haven't given myself enough time to grieve my last relationship. I do not want to re-kindle that old fire - flame is too mild to describe the previously stressful relationship, but i don't want to let my feelings for this man get out of control and ruin what we have. I know it sounds silly, but I'm basically afraid to tell him how I feel, that I love him. I actually stop myself from saying it to him out of fear of loosing him. I am at a loss as to what to do. Any advice would be helpful.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.