Immature?Sun, Feb 13th 2000
For the past 9 months I have been seeing a man who I thought was wonderful and who actually restored my faith in the male species. The past 9 months have been wonderful and he has treated me very much the way I want to be treated. During the entire 9 months, he stated over and over that we were just friends although we were sleeping together for at least the past 6 months and have spent virtually every day and night together. He has introduced me to his children, some of his family members and his ex-wife. He has also met my friends and family members. He wavered back and forth between "we're just friends" and making remarks that would indicate we're more than just friends, i.e. I discussed w/ him my feelings about wanting a committed relationship at which time he informed me that he didn't feel ready for that due to concentrating on getting his career/financial future in order and being ambivalent about relationships and love due to his recent divorce in November. At the same time he informed me that "giving you up is not an option" when I wanted to end the "friendship" because I felt I was in too deep and not getting what I really wanted which was a commitment. One week ago, after he returned from a trip to his home town, he informs me that he is "in love" and is planning to return to his hometown to commit to this person. I have mixed feelings of anger, sadness over the loss of a wonderful friendship and potential love, and betrayal. Am I wrong for feeling this way. After all, he did tell me from the beginning that he didn't want a committed relationship. I have been refusing to talk to him since he broke the news because I don't want to say the wrong things and make matters even worse. He wants to "talk" and continue to be friends. If I'm ever going to be "friends" again it certainly will be w/out the sex however, I don't know if I can just be friends w/ a man I had hoped would be the man I would spend the rest of my life with. Help! I need to know if I'm being immature or unfair in my view of this whole thing?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.