Finding HerselfFri, Oct 15th 1999
I am a 36yr old recently divorced female. I have started dating a very close friend of mine who is 26yrs old. We have a wonderful time together no matter what we are doing. I have cared very deeply for this person for years and was worried that taking our relationship further would ruin our friendship, but it does not appear that it has. The only commitment that we have made to each other is that we will exclusively date each other and be honest with one another if either of us feels its not working out. However, I am really experiencing some self-esteem problems and insecurity issues. I have been married since I was 18 years old. Now I am not for the first time ever. I am very lonely when I am not with him and I don't know what to do with myself. Also, if he doesn't call me during the daytime it is very depressing to me. I know that I can't depend on someone else to make me happy in life, but I'm not sure what to do to make myself have more esteem and to make sure that my life is well rounded and does not just consist of my relationship with him. I worry about the 10yr age difference too even though he assures me it has no bearing on his feelings for me. Do you have any good advice at this point in my life?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.