Having Cake and Eating It TooThu, Aug 19th 1999
My boyfriend and I have been in a warm, caring relationship for about 13 months. We have so much in common (traveling, values, etc.) and are currently discussing our future together in terms of 2 to 3 years from now. He had ended his relationship with his ex prior to our meeting, and told me that they were just friends. I found out 8 months after meeting him that she still comes over periodically to perform a kinky sexual favor for him. I am upset. He does not want me out of his life. He states that I have wonderful qualities that he cannot find in his ex. He still wants us to continue our plans. He states that since he and his ex have had a history together for about 7 years, he can not abandon her. I am just trying to be patient, not overly jealous and hope that this really is going to end soon in my favor. Can he still be in love with her? Will he later make up his mind that the history with her is stronger? Or is he really sincere that we have a future and she will be out of the picture soon?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.