Does He or Doesn't He Want a Family?Tue, Dec 8th 1998
I am 21 years old and currently living in the United Kingdon where I attend college. I moved here so that I would be closer to my boyfriend, to whom I am now engaged. We have a pretty good relationship, however, about a year ago or so, I thought I was pregnant only to find out that the home test was wrong. Ever since then, I have been trying to talk to him about starting a family as soon as we are married. However, he keeps saying he is not really sure about having children now, even though at the time we thought I was pregnant he seemed very keen on it. I know I am young and there is plenty of time, but it hurts a lot when he continues to be negative about having a family in the future. I have no idea what to do or say to him about how I really feel about having a family. I am afraid of him totally rejecting it and me not being able to handle the rejection.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.