Long Distance RelationshipTue, Nov 17th 1998
I have been dating my boyfriend for a little over a year. We got together during our senior year in high school after going to the prom together. Currently, we are sophomores in college and are at separate schools (about 7 hours from each other). I love him very much and sometimes I can see spending the rest of my life with him. However, it gets incredibly difficult to be away from him throughout the school year, and I feel so hurt everytime I have to leave him again. It is as if we are being torn away from each other, and we have no control over it. Recently, I have been considering taking a break from him because I am scared to think of myself as being 19 years old and practically married. I am terrified that if I do break up with him that I will have lost the only person that I have ever loved and who has loved me. I would like to know your view on my problem and if you think I should stick with it and work through it because it will be worth it in the end, or if I should take a break from him.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.