Just Friends?Tue, Nov 17th 1998
I have been seeing a guy for about 8 months now. He is recently divorced and although he tells me he is over his ex-wife, I think he is still in love with her (she cheated on him with 3 other guys). Well, although I don't want to get married soon, I would like a steady relationship with him as I have fallen in love with him. I've known him for eight years now, and my feelings have deepened considerably. Everytime I bring up the subject of what type of relationship we have, he tells me that we are just "very good friends" and that there is no commitment. However, we have gotten intimate on several occasions and we are much closer than "just friends." He tells me he is scared and that he is afraid of something and he doesn't know what it is. It's been 8 months now, and I don't know how to just sit back and relax when I care so much about him. What should I do? My friends tell me to move on. My parents are totally against this. I don't know what to do anymore. Sometimes things are fine; other times things are not so great. Some days he just can't live without me; others he doesn't even call. Please help!
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.