I Want Out!Tue, Sep 15th 1998
I have known him three months and endured many petty conflicts. He is manipulatively demonstrative, over-demanding, self-absorbed, narrow-scoped, lacking in empathy, quick to degrade or humiliate without accountability... I am cold in reaction, active with friends, family, and job; stymied and upset. Dear Anne, I have said I want to end this relationship over various issues. He wants a two week period of closure and debate. He has narcissistic traits (superior to education, medicine, the system, peers, thinks he is a recognized genius, and at 50 he is still painting his portrait of flattery). I WANT OUT OF THIS! WHAT CAN I DO?!
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.