He Just Wants to Be Friends...Tue, Sep 8th 1998
I am 21, dated a 24 year-old guy earlier this summer for about 4 weeks before he left for 2 months to travel. He came home and is beginning grad school 20 minutes from where I attend college. While we were dating, he invited me to come stay with him at his apartment for a week, to go to his home where his parents live for a weekend, and on a weekend trip with him. He almost asked me to join him on his travel, but decided for various reasons that it wasn't a good idea. He called once and wrote once from the road, and asked me to come visit when he got to his destination. I didn't hear from him for 6 weeks after that, until I called his parents to see if he was back yet. He was. I am a skeptical person by nature, and feel confident when I say that I know he liked me a lot while we were dating earlier this summer. But we got together recently, and he has concluded that he only wants to be friends. He says I haven't done anything, and refused to offer any other information about his decision. I think the world of him and am happy just to be his friend, but of course I want more. I think he's scared to be close to anyone, but at the same time really wants to have that connection. Any suggestions?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.