I Could Be Happier...Tue, May 26th 1998
I have been with my boyfriend for the past six years. I am very comfortable with him, and we get along great. The only problem is that he doesn't excite me like previous boyfriends have. I think I see him more as a friend than a lover. I know that no one can be completely happy in a relationship, and that there are trade-offs. My problem is that I think I could be happier, but I'm afraid to leave him. What if I can't find anyone better? He's not exactly the guy I've dreamed about meeting since I was a little girl, but I do love him. I've dated a lot of other men; he seems to be the most compatible guy I've dated. I've never felt so comfortable with another person before. Could I just learn to be happy...? I really don't want to hurt him.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.