Scared of Hurting Him...Tue, Apr 7th 1998
I am just starting out in a relationship that has the potential for turning into something long term. We were friends first; I tell him everything and he does the same with me. I care about him deeply, and am afraid to let the relationship progress any further, because I'm afraid that in some way I'm going to hurt him. I saw how much pain he suffered when his last girlfriend hurt him, and I don't ever want to do that to him. I have no intension of hurting him, but we are so close. Another problem I have is that I've never been in a serious relationship before. I'm afraid to commit. I know we both have very strong feelings for each other, but it hasn't been until recently that we've acted on them. Things are moving fast. I care about him so much that I just want to make sure he's happy. If I care about him as much as I do, why am I so scared to continue with this?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.