I compromised and gave inTue, Jun 20th 2006
I have been in a relationship for over a year and a half. Several months ago, we began sleeping together at his request. I was unsure about it because I believe strongly about waiting until we are married. However, I compromised and gave in for "special occasions." Well, these days it seems like he can think of a special occasion for everything! I've tried to tell him how I feel and why it is important to wait. At times, I feel even very dis-interested in sex because of the guilt I feel after the fact. He, however, doesn't want, or see the need, to stop. I love him dearly, and truly believe we have a future together. I, however, would like to move backward and slow things down sexually in our relationship. Some friends tell me once we crossed that line before marriage, we can't go back. I don't believe it. What would you suggest for solving this ongoing argument and compromise in our relationship?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.