My mother has been really depressed for several years now. It has so fully engulfed her that she hasn't worked in the past 2 years. She sleeps a lot. She's angry all the time and takes it out on my grandmother (whom she lives with). I want her to understand that it's important to seek out some help in order to get things back on track, but she thinks it's just a case of the blues that she is going to snap out of. Recently she told me that she was going to kill herself--later she played it off like she was "kidding." I think that this is serious, and not something that she's going to "snap out of it." She is unemployed and I am a student, so we don't have the money to hire a therapist. I don't even know how to get her to speak with anyone. What should I do to help her?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.