No FriendsThu, Nov 9th 2006
I have read and identify with the Avoidant Personality disorder. Here is my problem.
I am not really shy and can carry on conversations with relative ease. But I really don\'t have any friends; I am 23 and haven\'t had a \'best friend\' for almost 10 years now. I would like to make some but fear that others will see how lonley and \'friendless\' I am. This is a terrifying possibility, as I believe people will judge me based on lack of friends. So this only perpetuates the disorder. What can I do?
PS> I am a single mom and trying to reach out also for the sake of my daughter. I fear she will be \'socially disadvantaged\' with such an isolated mother. ( she is 2.5 years old)
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.