BulimicSun, Oct 3rd 2004
I've been bulimic for about 3 years now. there have been periods where I've stopped a few weeks at a time, and either way, I've always remained a normal weight. I'm 5'4'' 136 lbs, but terrified of gaining weight. All my life people have called me perfect and i think subconsciously, I'm trying to prove that I'm not in a secret way. I went to therapy for 6 weeks to deal with the bulimia as well as a cocaine addiction a few months ago, and it helped tremendously, but I can't completely stop the binging and purging. Also, I'm studying Nutrition for various reasons, and know all the consequences of having an eating disorder but block them out. why? why do I do this to myself? i have a boyfriend who loves me and I'm ashamed to talk about my problem. I want to stop and be a normal healthy person. I know I need to exercise more and stop binging, but i feel like I've lost control. One thing my therapist told me was that I have control issues.. What is your advice? I'm desperate.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.