I don't know who my true self is!Tue, Mar 25th 2008
Hi, i'm not usually open about anything like this. But i'm in need of answers. I'm a 19 year old male from England, UK. Ever since leaving high school, I feel as if I don't know who my true self is. I adapt the likings, traits and opinions of characters from movies and literally become that person. I'm very vain and depend on my physical appearance. I find I often alter my personality depending on who i'm with and how i'm affected by a situation. At school I wasn't the most popular kid, and if anyone was to make an attempt at bullying me I'd have to take it, but now just a few years later, hardly anyone recognizes me physically, and I'd be able to transform so easily into some that is higher than the person trying to bully. I don't have relationships, and fear them and I really don't know why. My views on relationships are negative, but again, that can change depending on who I am, and when I am. Can this change, or do I have to find a way to deal with it. Thank you.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.