AM I BEING ABUSED BY MY THERAPIST?Mon, May 12th 2008
I HAVE BEEN IN THERAPY FOR FOUR YEARS WITH THE SAME THERAPIST. FROM THE START SHE INSINUATED THAT SHE DID NOT CARE ABOUT ME. SHE SAID "YOU NEED TO CARE ENOUGH FOR THE BOTH OF US". I REVEAL TO HER THAT I WAS MOLESTED AS A CHILD. SHE JUST SMIRKED AND SAID NOTHING. SO QUITE NATURALLY I FEEL LIKE SHE DID NOT BELIEVE ME. SHE HAVE SAID TO ME THAT I MAKE IT HARD FOR HER TO CARE ABOUT ME. SHE HAS CALLED ME TO SAY THAT SHE GAVE MY APPOINTMENT TO SOMEONE ELSE. I ASKED HER WHY AND SHE BECAME HOSTILE AND SAID "I HAD A CHOICE TO MAKE AND I MADE IT". I WAS SO HURT. I FEEL LIKE I'M NOT IMPORTANT. MY MENTAL ILLNESS IS BORDERLINE PERSONALITY DISORDER. IF I'M UPSET I CALL HER AND LEAVE HER A MESSAGE BUT SHE WON'T CALL ME BACK. I ASKED HER WHY SHE DIDN'T CALL ME BACK. SHE'LL SAY IT WAS BECAUSE SHE WAS BUSY. BUT, LATELY SHE HAS SAID THAT ALL I'M DOING IS SETTING MYSELF UP TO BE DISAPPOINTED IF I EXPECT HER TO CALL ME BACK. I WON'T GO ON BECAUSE I'M GETTING TOO UPSET JUST THINKING ABOUT THE OTHER COMMENTS SHE HAS MADE. NOW I FEEL LIKE THERES NO HOPE OF ME EVER GETTING BETTER. I KNOW I COULD GO AND TRY TO FIND ANOTHER THERAPIST. BUT I WON'T BECAUSE I'M AFRAID THAT THE NEW THERAPIST WOULDN'T LIKE ME EITHER. I JUST WISHED THAT I WAS DEAD. EVERY SINGLE DAY I'M THINKING ABOUT THE WAY SHE HAS TREATED ME. I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.