How can I help a grieving sister who is angry with me?Mon, Nov 26th 2007
My sister's husband died unexpectedly. He had been sick for 5 years, had surgery and died 2 days later. My sister called me, I left the next day, went to her house, helped with the receiving of friends at the funeral home, attended the funeral next day and graveside. My sister was fine the first day and then the following days, she was cold as ice. She would not hug me, tell me she loved me and made statements like" You don't know what I'm going through." My instinct tells me that I maybe I should have come sooner and stayed the whole time at her house though she has always kept me at arm's length. It never dawned on me to stay with her night and day, but I do think that is it. Her daughters are now cold to me and I'm hurting, yet my pain is not in the same category as their's and never would be. How can help her? Thank you so much.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.