Aroostook Mental Health Services, Inc. (AMHC) was founded in 1964 as a non-profit community mental health center. The agency has been a provider of behavioral health (BH) and related services to adults and children in rural Maine for nearly 60 years.
Today the agency is the largest behavioral healthcare provider in the region with nearly 30 service locations across Aroostook, Washington and Hancock counties offering an array of mental health, substance use, crisis, sexual assault, prevention, and brain injury services (Aroostook).
AMHC serves nearly 5,500 individuals per year and employs 325 caring, compassionate staff members. AMHC is committed to an integrated, patient-centered approach in all services, characterized by a high degree of collaboration among community and health professionals and led by the client as the focal point of all services. No individual will be denied access to services due to an inability to pay. A discounted/sliding fee schedule is available based on family size and income.
In 2021 the agency was designated a Recovery Friendly Employer, joining the Northeastern Workforce Development Board’s Recovery Friendly Employer network, making visible AMHC’s commitment to offering a healthy, safe, and stigma-free work environment to eliminate barriers to recovery for those impacted by addiction.
AMHC is also a National Health Service Corps (NHSC) host organization.
To provide integrated healthcare services that maximize an individual’s potential to recover and improve their quality of life.
To improve the well-being of our community.
- Integrity: Treating everyone consistently by the same set of sound, moral and ethical principles.
- Compassion: Seeking to fully understand another’s situation and improve their well-being.
- Excellence: Maintaining a commitment to quality and exceptional service.
- Service: Providing assistance to others and making contributions to our communities.
- Collaboration: Working in partnership with others, we can achieve more than by working alone.
- Respect: Having high regard for every individual’s rights, responsibilities, and abilities.
Who We Serve
AMHC serves all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity (including gender expression), sexual orientation, age, marital status, family/parental status, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, or other classification that is protected by Federal law or by Maine State law.
No one will be denied access to services due to an inability to pay.
There is a sliding fee schedule for payment of services based on family size and income available to those who qualify.